Trash & Recycling
Rosslyn Farms Borough has a contract with Waste Management for garbage and recycling. Garbage is collected each Friday. Containers should be placed at the curb by 6:00 am for collection. For questions or service concerns please contact them at 800-866-4460 for more information, or visit the Waste Management website.
Recycle Materials are picked up on alternating weeks. Recycling should be placed in curbside bin and does not need to be sorted.
To read more about disposal of yard clippings click here.
Trash and recycling collection will be delayed by one day during holiday weeks.
See the links below for more information about trash and recycling collection.
- September 29, 2023, 6:00 am: Recycle Pickup
- September 29, 2023, 6:00 am: Trash Pickup
- October 6, 2023, 6:00 am: Trash Pickup
- October 13, 2023, 6:00 am: Recycle Pickup
- October 13, 2023, 6:00 am: Trash Pickup
- October 20, 2023, 6:00 am: Trash Pickup
Garbage Collection Info
- Garbage should be in properly secured containers or plastic bags.
- Grass clippings and weeds should be in plastic bags.
- Hedge cutting, limbs and branches should be securely tied and should not exceed 48 inches in length; branches should not exceed 3" (three inches) in diameter.
- Newspapers and magazines should be securely tied in bundles.
- All furniture items (only one (1) item a week will be collected), appliances, household goods, and disassembled children's swing sets will be accepted at curbside.
- Carpet should be rolled and tied in lengths not to exceed 48 inches
- Empty paint cans and/or dried paint is acceptable. Paint can be dried by air drying or soaking up with newspaper or kitty litter. Lids should be left off.
Items that will not be collected:
- Building materials (these may be picked up for a fee by calling Allied Waste Services at 412-429-2600).
- Automobile parts including wheel rims
- Trees and branches over 3" (three inches) in diameter
- Ashes from furnaces and fireplaces
- Stones and dirt
- Leaves (Rosslyn Farms provides compost pickup)
- Liquid paint
All recycling for the Borough of Rosslyn Farms is picked up on alternating garbage collection weeks.
Recycling Holiday Service:
If your scheduled recycling pick-up is on or after a holiday, pick-up will be one day later for the remainder of the week.
Recycling should be placed in curbside bin and does not need to be sorted.
The following recyclables should be placed inside the container provided by the Borough.
- Aluminum food and beverage containers with food debris removed.
- Glass food and beverage containers with lids and food debris removed.
- Natural and pigmented plastic narrow-neck containers with symbols 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. with lids and food debris removed.
- Ferrous (Iron, steel, tin) cans with food debris removed.
- Food and beverage cartons such as milk, soup and broth. Lids must be removed.
- Newsprint – black and white or pigmented. Not bound or placed in bags.
- Construction paper, kraft paper, cereal boxes, shoe boxes or similar.
- Printer paper, computer paper, copy paper
- Junk mail
- Magazines, catalogs
- Corrugated cardboard must be flattened and cut and can be no larger than 14″ x 14″
For items such as those listed below -- check out the Allegheny County Recycling Resource Directory for a list of locations that accept these items.
- Any material with food debris
- Polystyrene foam, foam cups, dinnerware, packing foam, or peanuts
- Any item smaller than 2″ in diameter or larger than a five-gallon bucket.
- Mirrors, window or auto glass, porcelain, ceramics, glass cookware, drinking glasses.
- Household items such as toasters, cookware, bakeware, electronics or appliances.
- VHS or cassette tapes.
- Items containing or having debris containing hazardous or toxic substances such as paint cans with wet paint, motor oil containers, gas cans, glue, petroleum products, etc.
- Hazardous or toxic substances
- Political campaign signs
- Unnumbered plastics
- Coat hangers or wire
- Wood or yard waste
- Rubber hose
- Holiday lights
- Light bulbs
NOTE: Appliances containing refrigerant
Items such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditions, dehumidifiers, water coolers, or any other appliance containing refrigerant will ONLY be picked up if the item has a sticker certifying the refrigerant has been removed. If there is no sticker certifying refrigerant removal, the item will not be collected due to law prohibiting disposal without certification. It is suggested that you have the company delivering the new appliance dispose of the old appliance to same on the removal cost of the refrigerant.
For notifications regarding service delays, visit https://www.wm.com/us/en/mywm/notifications